- 1 pound beets, cooked and peeled
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 ounces almonds
- 2 ounces grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus a tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Note: If you prefer a sweeter taste, scrub and trim the tops from the beets and roast them in a foil-covered pan at 400ºF/200ºC until fork tender, about 1 hour.
1. Roughly chop the beets and run them in a food processor or blender with the garlic, almonds, grated parmesan and sea salt.
2. With the blender running, gradually add the olive oil. Keep and serve refrigerated.
3. Use beetroot pesto exactly as you would use traditional pesto: over roasted vegetables, with pasta, in risotto, or even better, serve with home-baked rye bread.